As summer activities wind down, the air gets chillier and the leaves are beginning to turn. Fall is just about here, if not already upon us! That means not only should your wardrobe and outdoor activities change a little bit, but your kitchen updates probably should too.
You’ll likely be spending more time in your kitchen as the days get shorter and colder, and as holidays bring family and friends into your home for gatherings that require a warm atmosphere and delicious food.
Adding a few kitchen updates for the fall will make your cooking space a more cozy and welcoming, yet functional space.
Open Up the Space with Open Shelving
Open shelving is a particularly neat fall trend for kitchen updates. Many folks complain about their kitchen cabinets, often, you never seem to have enough cabinet space or you’ve got dishes that just won’t fit in the cabinets you do have. More importantly, it doesn’t make sense to hide beautiful dishware collections behind a cabinet door! Consider tearing out those cabinets or at least the cabinet doors, in favor of open shelving.
Open shelving is a more practical option to create a cozy, yet functional, kitchen space for a few reasons…
- Open shelving actually provides more storage space, especially for your oddly shaped dishes and kitchen utensils.
- If you have an especially beautiful dishware set, you’ll be able to show it off and incorporate the color and design into the kitchen space.
- It will truly open up the space and make it feel less cramped and closed off. Your guests won’t have to ask you where a mug, a plate, or a bowl are—they’ll be able to see it, and feel more welcome.
Add More Work Space with an Island
If your kitchen and your budget offer sufficient space, consider installing an island in your kitchen. The benefits for these kitchen updates are numerous. With an island, you’ll not only gain added workspace for those large holiday cooking projects, but also more storage space. Think of an island, also, as a place where your guests or children can sit and converse as food is prepared. An island contributes to making the kitchen a welcoming place for family as well as friends.
Islands are also relatively easy to make yourself:
- Find cabinets, a countertop piece, and a back panel that fit the style of your kitchen.
- Place the island with at least 42 inches of clearance on each side. This will give you plenty of room to walk and work around the island.
- Assemble the cabinets.
- Place the countertop on top of the cabinets and secure using wood screws. Add bar stools to add seating to the center of your kitchen.
Bring Nature into Your Kitchen
A great way to add to the coziness of your kitchen is to bring nature inside using houseplants. Houseplants will add a splash of color to the room. This will be especially welcomed during the cold and dreary winter months. Further, studies have shown that houseplants actually make the air cleaner and healthier, which is perfect for cold and flu season.
This is one of the easiest and most natural kitchen updates to do this fall. There are many types of plants that grow well inside provided they have plenty of sunlight. If you have pets, be sure to research which plants are toxic to dogs and cats before adding any to your kitchen. But for the most part, many herbs like mint, basil, rosemary, dill, and thyme, are perfectly safe in the event a pet comes in contact with them. These herbs will also provide you with fresh cooking ingredients all year long.
Be Sure to Accommodate Your Guests
One of the best kitchen updates to make your kitchen more cozy for fall is to create a seating area for your guests. This is of course dependent on the amount of space you have to work with. Even small areas can provide an opportunity to create more seating for your guests so you can bond and converse over coffee, or while dinner is cooking.
For those kitchens where space comes at a premium, consider building a bench seat in a corner or on a window sill. This will utilize a space that often goes unused. The corner will serve as the back of the bench seat. Adding a small round or rectangular table will create an intimate setting for morning coffee, or a comfortable reading corner.
How to Refinish Your Countertops for Fall
Refinishing tile countertops can also have the effect of making your kitchen a cozy family atmosphere. Depending on your budget and your style preferences, there are many options when choosing new countertop materials. If you would rather do it yourself rather than hire a contractor, there are a few simple steps to keep in mind when refinishing your countertops.
- Decide what you want to replace your old countertops with. You could go with an entirely new counter made of granite, quartz, or silestone. However, these will quickly eat up your budget. Painting current laminate countertops or lay a sheet of laminate over your current countertops, sealed with an adhesive. You can get sheets of laminate in various finishes, like granite. You could also re-glaze your countertop, as this provides a stunning and long-lasting result.
- Thoroughly clean the counter surface with soap and water, and then either sand down or fill in dents and cracks with epoxy.
- Sand down the surface to enhance the sticking power of your paint or adhesive.
- Then, apply several coats of the refinishing paint. Be careful to mind the application and drying directions of whatever paint or refinishing product you decide to use.
These kitchen updates can really transform your entire kitchen. Depending on your style and level of expertise, you may want to call in a professional to reglaze your kitchen tile.
Choosing Kitchen Updates
To conclude, there are many options when looking for kitchen updates for a cozy, yet practical, fall look. Open shelving will open up the space and provide enhanced storage. An island will not only provide you with more work space for meal prep, but will also provide your guests or children with a place to gather while you’re cooking.
Greenery brings life to any dreary kitchen in the cool fall or winter months, as well. And, a corner or windowsill bench seat uses open space well and provides a cozy area to sip coffee and converse or enjoy a good book. Finishing your countertops, too, is a relatively easy way to make your kitchen a more inviting place for the fall months.
Regardless of what cozy design choices you make for kitchen updates, strive for practical yet welcoming solutions and your kitchen will undoubtedly be everyone’s favorite room in the house.